Frequently Asked Questions
How much is it to have a stall? It costs $25 to register for a stall at Suitcase Rummage. This fee covers your registration and public liability insurance. There is also a small booking fee.
When do registrations open? In Brisbane, registrations open on the first Monday of the month, for the following month. For example, May dates will be on sale on the first Monday in April. In Melbourne, Canberra & Sydney, they open in the week after the previous market. Registrations for our pop up and one off events happen open at different times throughout the year. Join our mailing list by entering your details in the pop up that appears when visiting our website. You can also keep an eye out on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
What happens after I register? You will receive an e-ticket and confirmation that your booking has been received from eventbrite (our ticketing partner). You will receive another email from Suitcase Rummage one week prior to the event with specific event details. Double check your spam/junk folders! Sometimes our emails end up in there.
I can’t seem to register, what’s happening? It could be that the date you’re looking to register for is already sold out. It could be that our website or the Eventbrite website is under maintenance. It could be that you need to scroll down within the window you’re in! Try all of these tricks first. If you’re still having trouble, please send us an email and we’ll work with you to resolve it.
Do I need to register and pay $25 to come along to check it all out as a browser/buyer? No! It is free entry to attend a Suitcase Rummage market. You only need to register if you want to have a stall space to sell your wares. Otherwise, just bring along your pennies and shop sustainably!
It’s my first time having a stall, what are some tips/tricks and essentials to bring?! We absolutely recommend bringing a hat, water, sunscreen, umbrella, and even a jumper! As we are usually outdoors, we never know what the weather will throw at us. It’s best to be prepared. Other recommendations are: lots of change (money), which you should keep on your person at all times. You might like to make signs or individually tag each item (it’s up to you!), pen and notebook, and a rug/blanket for setting up your wares on is a must.
How many suitcases can I bring once I’ve registered? You can bring up to 3 suitcases for a registered stall space. This space can be shared with a friend or two, so long as you do not exceed three suitcases between you.
What’s the size of a stall space? The size of stall spaces varies. As a rough guide, we go off the size of a standard picnic rug for the size of a stall space. This is roughly 1.5m x 1m space allocation.
What can I sell? You can sell anything that is handmade, hand crafted, or designed by you. Anything that is second-hand, recycled, vintage, local, and sustainable. Things like: second hand clothing, shoes, jewellery, records, art, bric-a-brac, kitchenware, fabric, haberdashery, books, art, plants, cards. However, we DO NOT allow anything that is newly imported and/or mass produced.
But what if it’s new and has tags? If you have a dress in your wardrobe that you’ve never worn (and it has the tags and is brand new) that is ok to bring along. We want your garments to find new homes and have a longer life span! However, if you have bought something specifically for re sale – for example, 20 brand new iphone cases – these are NOT ok to sell at the Rummage. We want to discourage the purchasing of new, imported, mass produced, unethical and non recyclable items. If you’re still not sure what kinds of items you have or where they fit, please send us an email so we can talk this through with you further.
Can I choose where I set up on the day? When you arrive at the Rummage ready for set up, please check in with our friendly staff. Spaces are not pre-allocated, so we will work with you on the day to get you set up in a spot. Please note, we are unable to guarantee shade or specific spaces for any stalls, and often, we have many stalls to set up! However, if you do have requirements that you think we should know about (i.e if you’re pregnant and bending down is challenging, if you have a medical condition that requires further support) then please get in touch with us a week prior to the market and let us know.
Can I bring a friend(s) to sit with me for the day? Yes, for any of our regular Rummages you can bring a friend or two to sit with you on the day. They do not have to register for a space if they are not bringing any suitcases along. You can share your registration space with them if the total number of suitcases for your registered space does not exceed 3 suitcases. Occasionally we hold one off events in partnership with other organisations where we are unable to allow you to bring a friend along – this will be made clear in that particular event details.
Can I bring a chair to sit on? Yes, you can bring a chair, stool, or pillow to sit on! We strongly recommend it!
What about an umbrella for shade? Yes! We also recommend you bring a hat, sunscreen, and water (particularly for the outdoor events) to shade yourself from the sun. You can bring a hand-held umbrella, as well as large beach umbrellas, so long as you make sure to safely secure them.
Can I bring a clothes rack to hang my clothes on or a table to display my items? No, you cannot bring a clothes rack or any other piece of (large) infrastructure. You must display your wares using your suitcases. There are many creative ways of using your suitcases to best display your goods. Have a play! Check out our Gallery section on the website for some ideas, as well as our Instagram and Facebook pages.
Can I bring my dog? It depends on the city and location. Please check the local council regulations for the area for more information.
Where do I park? How do I get there? If you have the option to take public transport, that’s great! We always do our best to set up our Rummages in central locations which can be accessed by public transport. If you have large suitcases to wrangle, we recommend car pooling, ride share or getting a lift into the market. There is usually on street parking, and a combination of free or paid parking available at all our Rummage locations. Because we Rummage on the weekends, parking fees are usually reduced. Best to have a look online prior to the market day so you can see what the best options are for you!
I’ve registered for a stall but now can’t make it – can I get a refund or transfer my registration to another month? Unfortunately, as per our terms and conditions, we cannot provide a refund or transfer a registration to another month. We will only provide a refund if we cancel an event. You are more than welcome to pass on your ticket to a friend, or try to sell your ticket on to someone else. We recommend posting about this on our Facebook page – in the specific event you have a stall ticket for. Once you have found someone to take your ticket, simply forward your e-ticket and the email confirmation to the new ticket holder. Then email us to let us know the change of ticket https://www.facebook.com/pg/suitcaserummages/events/
I’ve missed out on registering for a space because the Rummage has all sold out – can I get squeezed into a spot, or can I be put on a waiting list? How can I get access to a spot due to cancellations? The events do sell out quickly but unfortunately, we can’t squeeze you in. This is because we have obligations with capacity for insurance purposes and venue limits. We currently do not keep waiting lists for all our events, but sometimes people who have purchased tickets can no longer make the market. The best way to find ticket holders who can no longer make it is through our Facebook page and events. If you have found someone to purchase a stall ticket from, make sure you receive their e-ticket and email confirmation. Before purchasing a ticket, you can contact us to check if the ticket is legitimate. You need to allow up to three days for us to respond though, so obviously if it’s the day before the market, it can be tricky to confirm! We also recommend using PayPal or meeting in person for the ticket exchange to make sure you’re covered. https://www.facebook.com/suitcaserummages/ Please notify us of the name change if you do manage to purchase a ticket from another stall holder.
What happens if it rains? How will I know if the Rummage is cancelled? Do you cancel it the day before? We decide on the day if the weather is bad enough to cancel the event. We notify our stall holders via email as well as post the cancellation on our Facebook and Instagram pages. We will notify you 2 hours before the event if it is cancelled. If you don’t hear from us – assume that the event is on! We hold off until the morning of the event, because, as you’d knew, the weather can change at any point!
Can I sell food? Generally speaking, selling food at a Rummage is not possible. This is to do with partnerships and policies in the places where we Rummage. However, it is worth checking with us just in case! Unfortunately, we are not in a position to accept food trucks or large food stalls for any of our markets.
Do I need insurance? Nope, you’re covered by our insurance!
How do I stay up-to-date with Suitcase Rummage goings on? Join our mailing list (head to our website and enter your details in the pop up that appears)! You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups. You can also keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
I want to run my own Suitcase Rummage event, is this possible? We are always open to new collaborations and partnerships, especially in cities where we don’t already have established markets. We wholeheartedly support recycling, repurposing, reducing waste and creative problem solving in our communities. If you would like to be involved in setting up a new Suitcase Rummage, please contact us via email and we’ll be in contact as soon as possible! Please keep in mind that we are a registered and trademarked business. Use of our images and copy without permission, does infringe on copyright laws.
Terms and Conditions
- Sales are only to be made from your suitcase. There are to be no gazebos, fold out tables, clothing racks etc. – everything must fit in your suitcase. If any stall holders are found setting up these (or something of the like), you will be asked to pack them down. As our name suggests – it’s sales out of suitcases, so your goods must be packed in a suitcase accordingly! Please do not arrive with your items in canvas bags, boxes, plastic carriers etc. Not only do we want to keep the aesthetic of Suitcase Rummage, it is not designed to be a full scale, conventional market. It is literally a Suitcase Rummage!
- Arrivals and Departures.All Suitcase Holders must have their names ticked off by the advertised start time of the market. Check in will open at least 1 hour before the event (depending on which market you’re attending). We understand that some of you travel quite a distance to get here, and sometimes there are extreme circumstances – but please message us on Facebook, Instagram or email to let us know you’re running late. We need to start the Rummage on time, as this is the time we advertise. Also, no stall holders are to start packing up before the advertised closing time of the event. Again, if we have advertised the Rummage to finish at 5pm, it’s not fair if punters turn up at 4:30 and half the market has been packed up. You’re also missing out on potential sales!!
- As Suitcase Rummage, we have a few ideals we want to stick to. We are advocates for recycling wares (of all kinds), and supporters of local artists, designers and not for profit organisations. Therefore, if your wares are mass produced or for commercial gain, then Suitcase Rummage is not the place for you. We will ask you to pack up your suitcase if you have not been honest with us about your products.
- Suitcase Rummage takes no responsibility for the safe keeping of personal property of stall holders or rummagers while at the event. The security of your takings, goods and personal items is your own responsibility. We advise that you keep any important possessions on your person at all times.
- Suitcase Rummage encourages safe work place practices when it comes to the handling of heavy equipment, particularly your suitcases. Please remember your own safety when carrying your equipment, and ask for assistance if needed. Suitcase Rummage is not liable for injury caused by the incorrect carrying of equipment.
- We have a NO Refund policy. We currently do not offer refunds for stall fees and cannot transfer your stall fees to another month or event. We will refund all stall fees if the event is cancelled by Suitcase Rummage and only in this instance. If you do not agree with this policy, then please think carefully before you purchase your ticket online.
- Please take all your possessions and rubbish with you when you leave. Please dispose of any food waste and rubbish appropriately – recycle any bits that can be recycled!! If you have other items you no longer want to keep (i.e clothing items, books etc) please donate these to a local charity or op shop at the end of the market.